With the rapid growth in 3D technologies, e-Commerce has come a long way from showcasing flat 2D images to an engaging 3D content.
3D has given a makeover to e-Commerce industry, by enhancing the shopping experience of the customer. Of course with development in various 3D applications and 3D asset creation, it has equally become important to explore ways to reduce cost while developing 3D assets. We have compiled a list of few common techniques that are being adopted by various eCommerce players.
- Prioritize products which are ROI driven: Creating 3D models for all the products at once may not be a wise approach, as it comes with a significant risk and enormous investment. Therefore, while investing in 3D assets, it is important to prioritize your product range. This means that instead of considering whole product range and converting them into 3D assets, one could evaluate the products and make a priority list. This priority could be based on many factors such as product ROI, need for 3D visual, return rate, etc.. For example, consider only those products which customer are more confident to buy online, for example furniture products.
- Economies of scale: A considerable volume could also help your 3D partner to reduce cost by leveraging economies of scale. This would be passed on to you based on mutual trust and transparency. Secondly, while outsourcing different models and textures, group them into similar models which helps in reducing cost as a model and texture created once can be reused for the groups. Thirdly, sharing your already created models and textures could also save cost of development for your 3D partner that can be passed on to you. For example, if an eCommerce store that is already working on 3D, can share their texture library, it can save lot of effort of creating new textures and similar assets.
- Implementation cost: Cost of 3D models also depend on which application you are implementing. For example: If you are looking to implement AR, it will be expensive and require a time period of at least 2-4 months, whereas designing 3D viewer is less expensive as compare to AR.
- Calculating effort estimates: While choosing a 3D partner, always look how they are calculating effort estimates per model. For example, to be more precise in our estimates, we categorize models as per simple, moderate, and complex, which indicates an average number of hours required on a model.
- Location: While selecting a 3D partner, as this work doesn’t require in-person interaction between the partners, an offshore partner can help reduce the development cost. You could choose a location that is cost effective. For example, countries like India and China. India is preferred due to its English language edge.
- Choosing different partners: While outsourcing your 3D work, it’s better to have two partners. One partner for creating models and rendering and the other for QA of the designed models. This outsourcing process helps in reducing your onsite cost where you need to do quality assurance of all 3D assets so everything off shored.
To know more about 3D modelling and cost cutting options , Click here