Ikea, the Swedish furniture giant has recently collaborated with Apple to solve the shopping woes.
Being one of the largest and successful companies famous for providing high quality furniture to the customer has been continuously working on the concept of providing a range of affordable and design appealing furniture. Before 2004, Ikea would follow the process of capturing furniture products through conventional photography but things changed when they implemented 3D techniques to showcase furniture. In 2006, their first catalogue having 3D rendering was showcased by displaying a chair.
After this, the company never looked back and continued improvement with further innovation. Ikea has launched its first application in 2014, with the help of Metaio, which was later acquired by Apple.
Here are the initiatives taken by IKEA that grew their business multi fold and blazed a trail for other e-Commerce players:
IKEA’s latest AR app ‘IKEA Place’ lets customers virtually place IKEA products in their houses and try them out before buying. The application was designed in 2017 by using Apple’s ARKit which is an AR development platform. This application includes all the 3D models of multiple furniture from sofas to armchairs. It gives buyers a fair idea of the furniture size, design and functionality at their home.
Previously, Ikea App worked for Apple devices only, now it is made available for android devices also. Android users with android 7.0 & above can use this app which allows them to choose from a range of more than 3200 digitized products to explore virtually in any environment. This application automatically scales up products based on their dimensions and size.
IKEA Store App
Ikea store app has made the in-store shopping easier like never before. This app saves buyers’ time by creating a shopping list before one actually goes into the store. One can check whether their desired products are in stock and where to purchase them. One does not need to remember the products that required to be purchased from store, all you need is to do is scanning the barcode and adding it to your list. Scanning QR codes and barcodes additionally provides customers the information related to the product that they wish to buy.
IKEA’s Catalog app lets users view products from its catalogue as well as provides them access to 360-degree view of the room sets. Users can choose items from IKEA Catalog and have that product to be overlaid in the device’s camera as if it is actually in the room, making it easier to check if it fits in a certain environment.
App uses the physical catalogue for determining the position and orientation of the products to be displayed on the camera’s viewer. IKEA has also provided a tutorial video to demonstrate how the app could be used.
Users can explore and save their favourite images and test how a furniture looks in their particular space by using 3D features. Catalog app can be accessed with iOS 9.0 or above for Apple users and for Android users it is compatible with devices having Android 5.0 or above.
IKEA Planning Tools
As latest 3D technologies are finding their way to retail, giants like IKEA have started to work on how they can leverage them to improve customer experience.
They are offering a huge range of options, majorly relying on tools to offer experience which allows customers to get an in-depth idea of what products they’re planning to buy, without traveling to a store.
IKEA’s planning tools are playing a crucial part in the successful journey of IKEA. Their home planner tools are offering customers a unique experience to view products in a 3D environment.
Various tools that Ikea is currently offering to the customers are:
- METOD kitchen planner - Lets you design your dream kitchen and reach to a rough quotation within few minutes.
- 3D kitchen planner - Gives access to 3D kitchen products to finalise every detail and price of kitchen design. Once finalised, one can either print out drawings and products list at their location or save the plan on the IKEA website for future reference.
- Bathroom planner - Allows to choose your favourite furniture combination for bathroom. All it requires is to choose your style and insert measurements into it.
- PAX planner - Helps in creating a flexible and customisable wardrobe storage system for you.
- BESTA planner - Helps in providing a solution for a perfect living room storage.
- PLATSA - Helps in picking an ideal shape of your storage combination design.
- ALGOT planner - Lets you get creative and design an ideal storage solution which is suitable for multiple uses.
- EKET planner – Allows you to design asymmetric wall and floor storage solutions.
- ELVARLI planner - Allows you to choose your combination in order to create a storage which is a perfect fit as per your space and style. Design your own sofa tool - Lets you create your sofa which not only fits into your room but also your needs. You can choose from various sizes, layouts and colours to make a perfect sofa for you.
IKEA, one of the pioneer and market leader in the e-Commerce industry adopted the 3D technologies very early and significantly benefited from it. The furniture giant has set many examples by creating various applications of 3D, hereby building business cases for other growing e-Commerce players.
Today IKEA is well-known not just for its quality products but also their innovative ways of creating seamless buying experience for customers using 3D technologies. They are an epitome of true innovation, who transformed their business leveraging digital avenues and embracing the change that a growing business must go through.
Reach us here to scale up like IKEA in the e-commerce industry.